Friday, August 22, 2008

Food Storage


I am so excited! I've been wanting to can meats for awhile now and I finally did it. Or I should say Mike and I did it. We have 12 pints of chicken canned and ready to put on the shelf. It was so easy! I found fresh chicken breast on sale for $1.69 per pound and bought 13lbs or so and put those lovely breasts into the jars with a little salt and pressure canned them. It was as easy as that! Because the chicken is in glass as opposed to metal, they will have a much longer shelf life and will taste a whole lot better! I am definitely going to do more and will be looking for a sale on beef.

4 comments:

Kaitlin said...

About time you updated your blog!! I'm very proud of what you did! It will be a life saver when we need it.

The Evans Family said...

I am so proud of you! Not only did you can chicken, but you also updated your blog! Yeah!!!!

Myers Mayhem said...

I want canned chicken! since it's in a jar isn't it technically jarred chicken? anyways i'm envious!

Molly said...

MMM, I have one jar of chicken left and then I need to can some more! That is my favorite thing to can, could it be any easier?? I'd love to try beef but haven't done it yet, good luck!